Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Small Successes, Vol. 4: Shots, salmon, and sports


1. We finally all got our flu shots for the year, even Joe. Usually Larry, Curly and I get them, but not Moe since he has an egg allergy and the flu vaccine is made from egg. He can't get the Flu Mist either because of his asthma, so we try to create a cushion of protection around him and so far (Knock on wood, but not really since that's being superstitious) it's worked. Maybe if I do a 7 Quick Takes post this week I'll tell you about how last year I decided to talk to the allergist about giving Moe the flu shot anyway--like everyone else, we were wary of H1N1--and why he didn't get one this year, and how I hope that doesn't make me a bad mother.


2. I can't seem to share my small successes without one involving food. We had some salmon in our freezer that Joe's brother had caught recently when he took a fishing trip to Alaska, and since the weather was gorgeous this weekend, we decided to cook it on the grill. I found this recipe for grilled salmon with lime-butter sauce, and my oh my it was heaven. I don't know if it was the quality of the salmon, or the sauce or what, but it was just the best you ever tasted. Melt-in-your-mouth good. We were so anxious to eat it that I forgot to take a photo.


I found a couple of great ways to use the leftover lime-butter sauce too. I'll tell you about those in my 7 Quick Takes post--guess I'm committed to one now, aren't I?


3. Curly decided he wanted to be on the school basketball team. We explained to him that we would be delighted to let him play, but since practices are twice a week plus Sundays, not to mention games practically every weekend for the next three months, he'd have to quit Tae Kwon Do. He wasn't too thrilled with this idea, and I thought for sure he would change his mind about basketball. He decided to play anyway, even though that meant giving up a sport he's enjoyed for a long time; plus even if he picked it up again after basketball season, he'd fall behind in his quest for the black belt. (His brothers were told NOT to pull any "nyah, nyah, we've got black belts and you don't" business.) When I broke the news to the lady who runs the martial arts center, she says, "Well, ya know, your contract is up for renewal and you've been here so long you're getting quite a good deal since you've been paying the same rates all along even though our prices have gone up. If we renew your contract as-is, you'll pay less per month than you would if you took Curly off the contract and only signed up the other two." In other words, we'd pay more for two kids than for three. So Curly is still signed up for Tae Kwon Do, and he'll be taking the classes on a more limited schedule than his brothers--like one day a week instead of two. This way he doesn't have to completely give it up, and he can still work on the skills he'll need to advance his belt rank. I'd say that's a win-win situation, wouldn't you?
Check out Danielle's latest Small Successes post at Faith & Family Live!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

bookmark

Bookmark and Share

ShareThis