Sunday, May 20, 2012

Get Thee To the Church: St. Mary's, Blacksburg, Virginia


So now that it's Ascension Sunday and almost Pentecost, I think it's high time I showed you where we went for Easter Sunday Mass.


 As many of you know, I grew up in a Baptist church.  (They're getting ready to sell it--the building and the land and all the buildings surrounding it that the church owns--and move into a bigger place.  My parents fear that whoever buys it will tear it down.  I'm hoping to get down there this summer and take some photos of the church that holds many childhood memories to share with you before it's gone.)  When I was a kid, St. Mary's was located right behind my church, but I never set foot inside.

There was a statue like this one on St. Mary's original building.  It might be the same one, but I don't really know for sure.
 Sometime in the 1970's, the parish relocated to a larger, more modern building on a good-sized piece of land.  After I became Catholic we attended several Masses there, when we would visit my parents on a weekend.  I liked the priests, and the Masses were always beautiful, but the building itself was, well, not the most attractive.  It frankly didn't look much like a church, either inside or out.  (For a while the tabernacle was shoved into a "chapel" that was more like a closet with a few chairs inside.  When they got a new priest, he had the Blessed Sacrament moved inside the church, front and center.  Much better.)


Just a few years ago, St. Mary's built a brand-new facility.  It's beautiful.  THIS is what a Catholic Church should look like.







While I was walking around taking photos after Mass, a lady came up to me and gave me her email and asked if I would take some pictures of the baptismal font, because she was in charge of the Easter decorations and wanted to have some photos she could use when planning for next year.  I guess it's time I sent them to her...


Happy Ascension Sunday!  Now get thee to church!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

bookmark

Bookmark and Share

ShareThis