Friday, July 13, 2012

7 Quick Takes, Volume 48



--1--

I've gotten hooked on a new TV show.

Well, not new, exactly; it's One Tree Hill, and it ran for nine seasons: the first episode aired in 2003, and the show ended (at least I'm pretty sure it isn't coming back) just this past spring.  It tells the story of a group of teenagers (and the adults in their lives) in a small fictional North Carolina town.  My family teases me, because they know the reason I started watching the show in the first place is because I learned that Gavin DeGraw's song "I Don't Wanna Be" is the theme song; and if you listen carefully you just might on occasion hear strains from some of his tunes.  (And you may even get a rare glimpse of Gavin himself; more on that later.) 

I've only seen the first season and a few episodes from Season Two, and I will say that so far, even though there are some things that bug me about it (like, it seems to be a given that teenagers are going to drink and have sex; plus everyone is thin and glamorous and no one has acne), there are--so far--a lot of good things about the show, too.  It seems to be geared mostly toward the teenage crowd, and it could spark some great conversations between parents and kids (although my boys aren't the least bit interested in watching it with me--and it might be more suited for older teens anyway).   Some of the positive messages I've seen are:  


1. Sex isn't something to be taken lightly.  There are consequences, and it's important to be aware of them and to be prepared to deal with them.  And it's perfectly okay NOT to have sex.  
2.  Listen to your parents.  They're not perfect; adults make mistakes too, but there is much to learn from their knowledge and experience.  I really like the fact that the kids on the show treat the adults with respect.  3.  A main plot line on the show is a man who fathered two children as a teenager and is struggling to figure out how to be a dad to both of them.  In one episode it's revealed that he wanted one of the mothers to have an abortion, and the young man is devastated when he learns he might never have been born.  When the boy learns that his girlfriend might be pregnant, he agonizes over what might happen and it's clear that abortion would not necessarily be a good choice.  


Plus the actors are good, and the coastal North Carolina setting gives it a nice A Walk To Remember kind of feel.

I still have nearly eight more seasons left to watch (THANK YOU, NETFLIX!!) and it's possible that my thoughts and opinions about the show will change as I go; but I'm looking forward to losing myself even further in the lives of the residents of Tree Hill.  And if you've seen the show and want to share your feelings about it with me, I'd love to hear them! (Just try to keep spoilers to a minimum, please!)

--2--

Of course the DeGraw Factor is a fun bonus; when Gavin first shows up in Tree Hill he's like, twenty-six, but he probably could pass for one of the teens on the show...



Methinks I'll be seeing more of Gavin, and hearing lots more of his music, too. 

--3--

Changing the subject...can I ask for your prayers for a difficult family situation?  I won't reveal details here but some people who I love very much are going through some really tough times right now.  And it's breaking my heart because they live so far away.  Could you please pray for this special intention?  Thanks so much!

--4--

Speaking of people I love very much, my brother and his wife are expecting their first baby!  We are all very excited.  My sister-in-law is due in late December, and they couldn't be happier.  If you could keep them and their unborn child in your prayers, I (and they) would be grateful!

--5--
-
Between the 100-plus degree heat and the crazy storms we've had around here lately, it's been an interesting few weeks, weather wise.  I actually was on the verge of taking Larry to the emergency room a couple of weeks ago when he got dehydrated and overheated at his outdoor adventure camp; fortunately once I got him home into the air conditioning and he rested with a Gatorade in one hand and the TV remote in the other, he was fine.  Then, that very night, came the infamous DERECHO OF DOOM that knocked out our power for a good part of the weekend.  We were fortunate;  no trees came down on our house, and the only evidence of damage we found was one roof shingle that was lying on the deck the next morning.  Lots of people in our area lost power for a week or more, had trees smash into their living rooms, and all kinds of horrible stuff.  (Check out Ginny's blog for an account of their ordeal.  Ginny amazes me sometimes the way she can make the best of a bad situation.)  This week? The weather (except for one bizarre thunderstorm that knocked down a couple of buildings not too far from here) has been BEAUTIFUL.

--6--

It hasn't been too hot and stormy for the critters!






(I snapped this one right before I chased them off.  I did NOT want to witness a cat fight right next to my house, thank you very much.)


(A much more mellow kitty)


(An even more mellow doggy)

...And, of course, the heat didn't stop the Joe and boys from putting on a private fireworks show in the driveway for the Fourth!




--7--

Finally I have a few links to share with you:

--I've been busy on my other blog, Cooking Nick's Books.  Check out these Brazilian Chicken Cutlets I made last week, and the bacon pancakes I cooked just the other night. 

--If you missed it, you can read this post, in which I reminisce about a Buddy Guy concert we attended 20 years ago.  The best concert EVER. 

(Buddy had a show last night at Wolf Trap.  Sadly we had to skip it.  There was a swim meet.)

--And are you on Goodreads?  I joined that networking site for book lovers several years ago when I was part of an online book discussion group.  Recently I've started using the site again to log and rate the books I'm reading, and I've even written the occasional review.  Last week I reviewed a memoir by the racing legend Alex Zanardi, who lost both of his legs in a racing accident in 2001.  You can read that review here; and while you're at it, why not become my Goodreads Friend?  That way we can each see what the other is reading.

--Finally, Jenn Fulwiler, our 7 Quick Takes hostess with the Mostest, published a GREAT piece earlier this week recalling the way she explained the Catholic Church's teachings regarding marriage to a friend who is gay.  I bookmarked it on my computer and I've got a good mind to memorize it. 

Larry has been with Joe's parents in Williamsburg for the last few days.  It's amazing how much more quiet our house has been with just Curly and Moe here.  We get him back this weekend.  I miss him.  (Good grief, what am I going to do when the boy goes off to COLLEGE?)

For more Quick Takes, visit Jenn's Conversion Diary blog.  Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

bookmark

Bookmark and Share

ShareThis