Friday, January 1, 2010

Seven Quick Takes Friday--looking ahead to 2010


Happy New Year! Since it's the first day of 2010, and it's also Friday, I thought I'd tell you about some things I am looking forward to in the coming year.

1. I'm to become the mother of a teenager. Our oldest son, nicknamed Larry here, turns 13 soon. Last year for his twelfth birthday he invited some friends over for a slumber party, and since normally the boys get a party with their friends every other year, I thought I was off the hook for his thriteenth. Yesterday my friends informed me that 13 was a BIG milestone for a kid, and I needed to throw him a party. Any ideas?

2. Speaking of milestones, my mother and both of my husband's parents will turn 70 in 2010; my dad will reach his 75th birthday. Looks like we have some party planning to do.

3. My brother is getting married! I'm looking forward not only to the wedding festivities, but to many years of getting to know my new sister-in-law, and *hopefully* welcoming some new nieces and/or nephews in the years to come.

4. A weekend trip to New York City. Every Christmas, instead of buying toys and gadgets for us that might break or get lost, my in-laws give us gifts of special memories with them. Last year it was a day spent at a water park; another year we all went to Disney World. This year we are planning to spend a weekend in New York and an evening with Blue Man Group. I've only been to NYC a few times, but I love it, and I can't wait to go there with the whole family!

5. Confirmation Prep for Larry. I got an email a couple of months ago from the youth director at our parish asking if I would be willing to be a team leader for Larry's confirmation group. I don't know how it's done in other places, but in our parish the kids preparing for confirmation are divided into groups of 10 or so kids, and together they are expected to perform three corporal works of mercy and three spiritual works of mercy. Each team has one or two leaders--usually parents--who are in charge of planning activities and making sure all the kids participate. Fortunately I'm working with another mom, so I'm not having to do it all myself. We have until the end of the year to complete all six works, and I'm happy to say that we're already planning some for this winter. Once all the preparation is done, he'll be confirmed in 2011.

6. Enjoying our new deck, which was officially finished on December 30. It's built over the spot where I had my experimental container garden last year, so most likely I'll put out some pots on the sunny part of the deck, but I'm thinking I'll just have a few tomato plants and some herbs, and skip trying to grow other vegetables. At least for this year. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to many outdoor meals, and many hours lounging on the deck with a good book, a rosary, or stimulating conversation with friends and family. Curly already suggested we get one of those ourdoor fireplaces--the freestanding kind that people can gather around. We'll see; maybe that can be Dad's Father's Day present.

7. New Year's Resolutions? Pretty much the same as last year: more reading, more prayer, more exercise, etc. Last year I resolved to expand my garden, which I did, but I never got around to buying a composter. (That's probably a good thing; I'm not sure I'd really know what to do with it.) I did get more involved with the pro-life movement, but the part about volunteering at a crisis pregnancy center didn't happen. Maybe this year...the same goes for my resolution to eat something healthy with every meal and exercise every day. HAH! Not happenin'. Again, maybe this year...

I hope you all have many blessings in 2010! Today is my first "blogaversary," and I'm looking forward to another year of blogging. Think I can write more than 69 posts (my 2009 total)? We'll see. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with all of yours. Now it's time for me to go work out with Wii Fit. Or maybe my elliptical. After I throw a load of laundry in the wash...

HAPPY BLOGGY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!!

p.s. Don't forget to go to Mass today, the Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God! We're going this evening; we all slept in this morning, and today we plan to watch football and start taking down our Christmas decorations.

2 comments:

  1. Ideas for a party? Why not ask your son? I bet he has ideas of his own that would make his day great. I envy you, being on the threshold of mothering teenagers. I absolutely loved the teenage years. For most of those years, I had seven teenagers at the same time. Those years were both wonderful and full of wonder. Memory may fade with the years, but I do not remember one unhappy day during those teenage times! Good luck to you! How lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

bookmark

Bookmark and Share

ShareThis