Thursday, January 1, 2009

Shouldn't we all make New Year's resolutions?

It's past 10 pm, and I have no less than four baskets of clean laundry waiting for me to fold and put away. My husband and kids are starting to complain that they're running out of things to wear. Right before Christmas, I announced to the boys that they would from now on be responsible for their own laundry. They balked at first, then allowed me to teach them how to use the washing machine and to fold the clothes reasonably neatly. The clothes (clean and dirty) are piling up again, so my first New Year's resolution is this:

1. Get most of the laundry washed, folded, and put away tomorrow, and get the boys to help.

That's a New Year's resolution I feel I can keep, because it's for only one day. Maybe all of our resolutions should be like this. Doesn't everybody make out a to-do list for every day? I know I never get everything done, so we can't expect ourselves to keep every New Year's resolution we make. Somehow we find ourselves setting lofty goals that will be difficult to accomplish. This year, I'm making smaller goals for myself, hopefully easier to manage, and maybe I will keep all my resolutions. So in no particular order, here is the rest of my list:

2. Pray every day, no excuses.
3. Eat something healthy at every meal. This means if I grab a Lean Cuisine from the freezer, I eat an apple with it. Choose the salad at McDonald's.
4. Grow at least three kinds of vegetables in the back yard this year. Last year I had two tomato plants in pots; this year I want to have four of those, plus peppers, lima beans, and squash. Or something.
5. Learn to make cheese.
6. Read at least one book a month.
7. Get a little bit of exercise every day, even if it's just a walk in the neighborhood with the dog.
8. Involve myself more fully in the pro-life movement. I'm working on the specifics; possibly to volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center.
9. Buy a composter, or at least create a compost heap somewhere behind my house.
10. Have a consistent plan for the boys to complete chores and homework; and stick with it.
11. Every day, only write EIGHT items on my to-do list. For years that's been the most reasonable number I've been able to accomplish. Too often I write down too many things, and then I feel badly if I only get five of them done.
12. Create a limit for how much time I spend at the computer. (One hour? Ninety minutes? That seems like a lot. I'll have to figure that one out soon.)
13. Send birthday cards to friends and family. Too often I forget.

Today at Mass for the Solemnity of the Mother of God, our priest told the congregation that he hoped 2009 would be the best, most prosperous year we've ever had. I like that wish, but I think my wish for myself and for you would be this: May every day in 2009 be full of little joys. Even in difficult times, may we find things to be grateful for, and may we love one another every day. Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Sharon!! But there isn't anything on your resolution list about writing your blogs! :)
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon. Love your blog. You have some great New Years resolutions. I never make resoultions because I never keep them. LOL! I'll have to go find the 40 Something Blog I did for the book club. I can't remember the address.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, I love your blog! You have inspired me to get my life organized!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

bookmark

Bookmark and Share

ShareThis