Friday, July 1, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Epic Wipeouts, Sacred Hearts



--1--

Yesterday morning my dog ran out of the back door to chase after a cat. Still in my pajamas and barefoot I ran like crazy after her to try and catch her before she went into the neighbors' yard. I'll bet you can guess what happened--I did an epic wipeout and scraped up my knees and stubbed my toe and now my left foot is so sore it's hard to walk. I hope no one saw me or heard me swearing.

Joe says I should take it easy try to stay off my foot. At least I have a good excuse not to do housework. This morning I feel like I've just returned from a weekend ski trip, except I haven't. I guess I need to get more exercise. I'll worry about that next week, when my foot feels better.

--2--

Speaking of cats, last Friday as we were about to leave the house for the evening, Moe announced that there was a kitten stuck in our neighbors' chain-link fence. Not knowing whether or not they were home, we decided to go over and help the kitten get unstuck before we left. Moe came running back very upset, saying the cat's leg was torn all to pieces. I went to check it out, from what I could see (and I didn't get too close because I'm squeamish about stuff like that) the kitten's leg was mangled and infected and swarming with flies. Right about then the dad returned from work, and I met him in the driveway and explained to him what we had found. I was almost in tears. He called his wife from his cell phone to tell her, so as not to upset the kids. We went on our not-so-merry way, and had a nice evening but felt slightly depressed about the poor kitten, wondering what would become of it.

The next day, we learned that the kitten's leg was in fact NOT mangled; just temporarily stuck and covered in poop. They helped him get unstuck, cleaned him up, and he ran off to join the other kittens. As much as the neighborhood cats annoy us sometimes, I will say that I was happy to hear that the kitten drama had a happy ending.

--3--

And speaking of epic wipeouts and falling down, did I tell you what happened to my dad a couple of months back? My parents had gone out of town for a weekend to attend a funeral, and on Sunday morning as they were preparing to leave their hotel, my dad slipped in the bathroom and fell, cracking two of his ribs. When my mother called the front desk to ask for help, the hotel manager said, "That's not our problem." The hotel manager!! (Dad says that as he fell he prayed, "Please God, don't let me break my hip!" We're all thankful it was only ribs.) Finally someone promised to call 911, but they never did. My parents went on home and Dad went to the doctor the next day. He's recovering nicely, thank God; when they came to visit a couple of weeks ago he was able to sleep in the bed for the first time since the Epic Fall. He'd been sleeping in a recliner every night up until then. He still has pain, and he still sleeps in his recliner some, but he's much better.

--4--

Did you see this?


Watching this makes me smile; you wouldn't think sending a tweet would involve such pomp and ceremony.

Check out the recently launched Vatican news website here!

--5--

I have somewhat of a love-hate relationship right now with the Stieg Larsson Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I'm in the middle of the second book, The Girl Who Played With Fire. I've had my nose in the books almost constantly for the last two weeks. The story is fast-paced and exciting and engaging, but some parts are so graphic and raw that a couple of times I've considered quitting and reading something more uplifting. The graphic violence I can deal with; it's the lesbian sex that gives me the willies. For now I'm skipping those paragraphs. (The other thing that drives my nuts is that people are so casual about sex, and seem to jump into bed with each other without a second thought.)

I like the fact that everyone in these books constantly drinks coffee at all hours of the day and night. I can relate to that, at least.

--6--

We've enjoyed some lazy days this week.




Moe hasn't been as much into critter-catching this year as in the past; he did find this little guy with his dip net the other day.

--7--

If I hadn't spent half my morning reading blogs (like this one), I wouldn't have known that today is the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.


O most holy heart of Jesus, fountain of every blessing, I adore you, I love you, and with lively sorrow for my sins I offer you this poor heart of mine. Make me humble, patient, pure and wholly obedient to your will. Grant, Good Jesus, that I may live in you and for you. Protect me in the midst of danger. Comfort me in my afflictions. Give me health of body, assistance in my temporal needs, your blessing on all that I do, and the grace of a holy death. Amen.

(Source: Catholic Online)

Have a safe and blessed July Fourth Weekend, and don't forget to check out Jen at Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

bookmark

Bookmark and Share

ShareThis